This sections deals with football and other sports and hobbies. If you have a team or a sport or any hobby Please let everyone know

Friday, November 20, 2009

last night's match

Like many of you, I was glued to last night's match, shouting myself hoarse.

Ireland played their hearts out to defeat one of the world's great footballing nations - or they would have were it not for what's been dubbed "Le Hand of God". Thierry Henry's blatant hand ball is a moment that will live in footballing infamy.

I don't want to spend the days until the World Cup starts being furious - I want to make a stand. I have set up a petition calling for a play-off on neutral soil. Add your name now, and I will send the petition to FIFA to make sure they hear our complaint:

http://www.fiannafail.ie/fairplay

I have always had respect for Thierry Henry. He is a masterful player, with insight, flair and passion. On this occasion he has let football down.

I am taking this initative not just because Ireland's football team deserves a spot in South Africa, but because fair play goes to the heart of what football is all about. Fair play matters too much for us to simply mutter about the big countries always catching a break. Fair play matters too much for us to accept such a blatant attempt to cheat the fans of this great game.

Please join me in adding your name to my petition - let's send a message to FIFA that only a replay on neutral turf will make things right:

http://www.fiannafail.ie/fairplay

Thanks for reading my email - I hope you'll join me in backing Ireland's call for fair play.

Yours,

Dara

No comments:

Post a Comment